www.Fay-West.com Logo

Connellsville and South Connellsville

www.fay-west.com
www.Fay-West.com
Connellsville and South Connellsville Ohiopyle State Park Youghiogheny River and Trail
About Contact Guestbook Fayette County Westmoreland County Somerset County
Home Pictures Towns Places Other Info Interact Classifieds
Connellsville and South Connellsville
Last Update: January 24, 2005
- Discussion Board
- Classmate Registry
- Connellsville
- History
- Pictures
- Guestbook
- South Connellsville
- History
- Pictures
- Casparis

Connellsville Area Discussion Board

2005 2004 2003

2004 Entries

Post Message    Older >

View Discussion Board:

Friday, December 03, 2004
I don't think pete rose should be in the hall of fame. I also don't think Joey should have been allowed on the school board.
just my opion
USA

Jason Giambi is the latest athlete to admit using steroids and other performance enhancing drugs. He along with any athlete using steroids,performance enhancing drugs or any drugs should be thrown out of sports. If they hold any records these should be stripped from them. Look at the athletes that were involved with drugs. After a suspension they were allowed back in. They are looked up to by the youth of our country. What an example to set. Pete Rose who admitted to betting on the outcome of games is barred from baseball. He did not bet on games where he was involved. He can not be admitted to the Hall of Fame at Cooperstown.Among his many records most hits by any major leauger. You can access his records by checking the net. Is this fair?
c
connellsville USA

I would like to comment on this years hunting season. I think its horrible. I have been hunting for 5 yrs and every year the amount of deer i see declines. I remember my first year and i probably saw 20 or 30 doe just in the first day. Now i was out Monday and Tuesday and i only saw 1 deer and i couldn't even shoot it because it was a spike. I think Gary Alt needs to get out of his position because he hasn't done***for the deer population. 2weeks for doe is just way to much. People are killing off the does way to fast. All you see now are little does because thats all that are out there. The antler restiction is good and bad. Its good because it would be nice to see some bigger bucks, but its bad because its way to hard to try to count points as a buck is running through the woods. There are way to many hunters getting a liscense. I think something needs to be done real soon or its going to get to the point that your going to be lucky if you see 1 deer the whole season.
hunter
Connellsville, Pa USA

where im at first it was the areas decline cause of failing industry, then your mill towns ,clairton,mckeefport,duquesne.homestead really collapsed. the few remaining businesses that held on r going thru very ruff times.then century3 mall came in and made it tuffer.now we have a wally-world,a.k.a.walmart that is putting the finishing touches on thetowns and the ONLY times you see the mall busy is tween turkey day and new years .a fine example oe a real town is Irwin,the town that time 4-got.much like cville was.movie theaters,flower shops,appl;iance stores.clothing stores.enen aisleys with a soda fountain!bRING BACK THE SINGLE BUSINESSES,give the older people their heritage,thechance to raise their kids in a controlled atmosphere, and when the store fronts are full drugs will dissapear,the storeowners will chase them away from the corners like they did us in the 50s and sixtys !
uriah
jeffersonhills, pa USA

I still love Connellsville, too. And your information is well taken about redevelopment loans, but that still does not change the demographics about an aging population, etc , etc. If these loans are known to you, then why aren't they known to the city fathers and those who should spearhead the redevelopment,ie. the Redevelopment Authority or what ever????
cece
USA

Re-development funds ARE available from Federal, State (most states). Somebody has to force the property owners to either redevelop the old bldgs & make them attractive & functional or (sob) tear them down. You have got to start somewhere. SBA loans are available for those who are wanting to get a business going. C'ville has had lots of lemons delivered on its doorstep.....somebody has got to get going making that lemonade.
Still luv C'ville
USA

Everything you are saying about dreams and making C'ville a place to remember instead of pass thru makes sense. But remember that the area is fast becoming a senior citizen and aging population. The young are leaving for greener pastures. OR others who live here are on welfare, SSI, etc. SO WHO has the money or the energy to start a new business?? The older folks are retired and have "paid their dues". THey don't want to take on a new responsibility now. It's not as easy as it sounds to "just make it happen".
cece
USA

My spelling is very poor . I know I sound crazy, but SOMEBODY has got to have a dream. ==========================. My spelling is very poor , Sorry about that . The WRIGHT Brothers come to mind .
James R
USA

I know I sound crazy, but SOMEBODY has got to have a dream. =============================. Not at all for with out dreamers there would be no tomorrows the Right Brothers comes to mind .
James R
USA

Somebody may have hit the nail on the head when they said that C'ville is a place people pass through. Well, then; think about it. Make it a place to REMEMBER AND COME BACK TO.. People have to eat & love good food. People remember homemade icecream. People remember wonderful bakeries. People remember wonderful fudge. It's human nature to enjoy and take a treat home. They will come back for great pizza and footlongs, great deli sandwiches and unique salads & veggie places. These small business are possibilities and DO make $$$$ especially in places where you have the River & bike trails in the spring, summer & fall. The old soda fountain (Burn's) where you sit at a counter and order a milkshake and they leave the extra in the metal cup in front of you. Fries in a basket. Chocolate cokes. Capitalize on what's there. (Food memories last forever.) If people drive thru.........entice them to stop, spend their $$$$ there and COME BACK. Make Connellsville a place where people just HAVE TO COME back to & remember. I know I sound crazy, but SOMEBODY has got to have a dream. When God gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Still luv C'ville
USA

Thursday, December 02, 2004
The problem is everyone in power here in the business arena is afraid of competition so they will do everything to keep out the competition. ======================================== I agree with you .This is all gone to change and soon , just follow the $$$$$$$$.
James R
USA

"C" hit the nail on the head. The problem is everyone in power here in the business arena is afraid of competition so they will do everything to keep out the competition. Look at Mt. Pleasant and Uniontown, with their projects with mini -malls .-- They are booming. while we die. WAKE UP before it is too late. C'ville seems to be some place that people pass thru on their way to somewhere else. We need jobs and tax money coming in or you can't survive very well. Population here is declining.
cece
USA

I see the Uniontown area is getting $1.4 million for the Matthew Drive project. Connellsville will never get anything like that because of our indecision about development. The area booms because they aren't afraid of competetion.
c
connellsville USA

YOU understand Lance, a giveaway for long term nothing
Caution
USA

Where is everyone this evening. Not a lot of posters since yesterday. You posted some great nostalgia Lance. I remember the Connellsville Police Scandals of over 30 years ago. One thing about Connellsville is that there has always and will always be some great Pizza Shops and Bars in the town.
Captain Mephisto
Connellsville, PA USA

Looks like Widewaters is throwing out a bone to C'Ville.I bet they are looking for a bigger price break on that property,and a larger Tax break.
Lance Reardon [Contact]
Pittsburgh, Pa. USA

Isn't it great that we live in America where are can openly disagree with goverment and state our views without fear of being tossed in jail. Sites like this are not possible in many places in this world.
Bert
USA

I LOVE THIS PLACE ITS SO RELAXING, THE MOUNTAINS ARE THE BEST GO RAVENS
Kristopher [Contact]
Los Palmas, Calf USA

Wednesday, December 01, 2004
I need to know if anyone has any information on David McDowell. He is my brother and any iformation (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated.
Dan McDowell [Contact]
Spencer, North Carolina USA

Those Police who were involved in the scandal 30 years ago wern't all bad. They caught me for drunken driving and let me go. I was driving south on Pittsburgh street on the sidewalk from the bottom of the hill up to Green St. They followed me,and saw I was drunk pulled me over, told me to walk home, charged me with reckless driving, and let me go.They sure saved me some trouble.
Commandocody
Shaler, Pa. USA

I would have to say that John Borchin is a true Cult Hero in Connellsville.
Larry Martin
C\'ville, Pa. USA

Widewaters applied for a building permit for a grocery store before the UCC came into existence. It's strigent regulations do not apply. I don't think Marzocchi is a dumb lawyer or he wouldn't be where he is.
in the know
Connellsville USA

did Mundorff appear at the 11th hour ? ========================================= Mundorff is a fine Lawyer and person ,don't be so quick on the trigger, she may be one of your Gems .
James R
USA

Here is the text of an e-mail I just sent to the Courier reporter about Widewater----- It is Uniform Construction Code, not Universal. I have found references to all the other requirements in the Pa. Planning Code which means that Lawyer Marzocchi is either a very bad lawyer or a bald faced liar. This is all Widewaters trying to take advantage of Connellsvillle and its fiscal woes. Print that in the paper.
Perry Fisher [Contact]
Mont Clare, pa USA

Here is the text of an e-mail I just sent to the Courier reporter about Widewater----- It is Uniform Construction Code, not Universal. I have found references to all the other requirements in the Pa. Planning Code which means that Lawyer Marzocchi is either a very bad lawyer or a bald faced liar. This is all Widewaters trying to take advantage of Connellsvillle and its fiscal woes. Print that in the paper.
Perry Fisher [Contact]
Mont Clare, pa USA

Someone just mentioned the new article in the Uniontown Herald Standard about widewaters. It is good. I suggest you go to their website and read it. It sounds fishy to me. Why all of a sudden did Mundorff appear at the 11th hour ? Was she recruited to upset the applecart? If R. Bornstein is the Health and Code officer and has been working with Widewaters and the planning commission all this time, why weren't these concerns raised before now? She says in the article that the plans and permit money were paid/submitted long before the new codes were adopted, so wouldn't Widewaters be "grandfathered" in? As I think someone said before, the powers that be don't want competition in this town, therefore , it will continue to die a slow death. I am not saying that Widewaters shouldn't obey the rules-- Yes they should, but it seems that someone threw up this obstacle at the last minute and never told Widewaters til now.
Freddie
USA

Bingo, Eric! But remember, at the South Side arson meeting after the 20th -the 20th(!!!!!!!)-fire--Mayor Reed said that there is nothing you and I could think of that they haven't thought of already! Point one being--if there's the thought--where's the action? Point two being, they don't need us dummies. And the fact is that your brother-in-law's act of filming brought suspicion upon himself, although he was wise to do that. ATF is having to deal with the same local politics we have to live in, this poor mayor, complacent council, and a police department that is stuck in a quagmire of inconsistant leadership and possible corruption (I've heard several stories/suggestions of corruption). The ATF can better put their efforts into communities with leaders who want to take action. I think they ought to mail out flyers with a map, dates, times of fires, locations with a stamped envelope, assigning each mailing a letter/number code (or have each person make their own code). Ask for help, suggestions insight from people anonymously. Oh, that's right, Mayor Reed says we couldn't think of anything more than what they have. Thoughts with no action is piss-poor leadership.
Fed Up
USA

Talking about the fires in Connellsville I don't think the police and ATF have a clue what is going on.One of the fires( one of the last 2 or 3) was across the street from my sisters house my brother-in-law took his video camera out and video taped the crowd watching the fire burn thinking that whoever started the fire might have come back to watch. I thought pretty smart most people who do things like this do it for the attention and like to see the destruction they have caused. The police came up to him and ask to come in the house and watch the tape and took the tape with them.My question is since this was about the 9th or 10th fire wouldn't you think the police and ATF would of already had someone taping at all fire scenes to look and see if any of the same people were at different fire locations?
Eric
Morgantown USA

According to an article in The Herald-Standard this morning Widewaters has met all the criteria necessary for a permit to be issued. Some of the issues brought up by Attorney Mundorff do not stop it from being done. The health officer Rita Bornstein stated she could not understand why the commission failed to do so.
c
connellsville USA

Vona: I really don't want to bring up old issues, but there was a problem in the 70's with police officers caught and convicted of buglaries in Connellsville.Caution: I agree Joe is a great guy, I grew up in Connellsville and have known him almost my whole life and he has done a lot for the youth of Connellsville volunteering his time to various youth sports programs, and other community efforts and he has paid his debt and has moved on and become a great person.
Eric
Morgantown USA

Hi Melissa, You mentioned the Buttermore Family. Do you have anything on Isaac Buttermore family in California, PA born in Mustard Hollow (I think)....father possibly Jacob Buttermore? Isaac married Mary Colleen Abbot (my grandparents).
Bobbi W.
Puyallup, WA USA

Type this into the Yahoo web sight . The Leighliter of fayette co.Pa
James R
USA

I remember John Borchin. I heard the same story about him saying that he would slit a persons throat with his straight razor if the Lord told him to do it. The customer took off running with his cape lather and all. There was also a picture of him in the paper in the fifties parading in Cleveland carrying a sign "Doctor Shephard is not guilty I know who is" during the Trial for Doctor Sam Shephard. He lived in Mount Pleasant at the time. I remember him following parades with his bucket and shovel cleaning up after the horses. I also remember him speaking out in a church that he heard the priest say he was Jesus Christ. Funny he was the only one who heard it. He used to say he had papers to say he wasn't crazy.
c
connellsville USA

Does anyone have any geneaological information about the Davidson family who lived on East End Avenue (Thomas W., Fredonia, Curtis, Pearl, Beatrice, Lily,Adrian, Paul, Louis & Eleanor)? Or the Leighliter and Buttermore Families? Mainly the Family trees of Walter A. Leighliter and Dolly Buttermore. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Parents divorced when I was a child, we have lost touch with relatives and am working on family tree. Please help if you can. Thank you. Melissa
Melissa Leighliter [Contact]
Daytona Beach, Florida USA

John Borshing always carried the American Flag with him. He dressed like Uncle Sam,and drove an old School Bus like the Partdrige Family did. He marched in all the Parades and was very Patriotic. He sang Patriotic songs in public just like the people in the 1940's Musicals.He came into the Colonial Grill one nite and serenaded Ruby the owner with his rendition of "My Buddy",while kneeling on one knee singing at the top of his voice. Ruby had not spoken to him for years and he wanted to make up with her. John was a World War 2 Veteran.He was a great guy.
Lance Reardon [Contact]
Pittsburgh, Pa. USA

That was John Borchin and who all got a haircut in his "electric" chair?? Told me one time, as he was using a straight razor shaving me, that if the Good Lord told him to he would have to slit my throat. He did it with a crazed look then busted out laughing. Fun (and scary)memories for sure.
Curious
USA

Eric in Morgantown...help please. Who is this Joe and mud slinging situation folks are talking of from the 70's with the downside on the police dept? Some recent info came my way about some ill fitted behavior with the cops and some common folk. Just wondering if it was all apart of the same story. I have an interest in Connellsville, born there, still visit time & again. Just curious . appreciate anything passed on
Vona
USA

Yes, I remember John Borshin(?)! What a red-white-and-blue colorful character! I just bearly remember him, though. I was kind of young. Why does my piece-meal memory tell me Uncle Sam hat-red white and blue? What was his car like? God Bless his Soul for being such a memorable person who again, turned my frown into a smile! Thanks, John!
Fed Up
USA

Eric in Morgantown...help please. Who is this Joe and mud slinging situation folks are talking of from the 70's with the downside on the police dept? Some recent info came my way about some ill fitted behavior with the cops and some common folk. Just wondering if it was all apart of the same story. I have an interest in Connellsville, born there, still visit time & again. Just curious . appreciate anything passed on
Vona
USA

Here is a man to talk about that will make oldtimers in Connellsville feel good. John Borshing aka Mr. Sunshine. He was the coolest guy in C'ville in the 60's & 70's. He cut hair at Morgan's Barber Shop on the West Side. He passed away in the 80's.
Lance Reardon [Contact]
Pittsburgh, Pa USA

Just to update you, there has been one arrest. Police believe there are copy cats covering their tracks to gain insurance money. Sad!
Caution
USA

Caution, I am glad to hear that you are a Vet. I hope that when all the people get back home from Iraq that they will receive a great Welcome Home.I was at the Welcome Home Parade and Ceremony in 91 in C'ville for the Gulf War Vets and it was a great one. To Fed Up I would like to share this thought.Everytime I see a news story about the Fires,and considering the fact that no one has been caught after all this time. I wonder if it might be someone prominent and connected that is starting these fires? Mabey I have watched too many Sherlock Holmes movies,but all of this sure makes one wonder. I feel for you about being armed and locked in at night. I too spent many nights years ago in C'ville in the 70's locked and loaded. You are right the old town is gone and has been for many years.
Lance Reardon [Contact]
Pittsburgh, Pa USA

Hey "Fed up", don't give up, get involved. This is still a great place to live.
Caution
USA

I agree what someone said about the state of fear in this city, only this time it's not the bar people wanting to get on the good side of the police, but regular middle-class citizens distrusting them, knowing the police won't protect you (unless you are a personal friend of theirs). I used to admire police as heroes , but since our neighborhoods have been freely, openly run by criminals and other non-responsible characters, I have changed my opinion. Done a complete turnaround. We and our neighbors and friends arm ourselves, lock up like the devil himself is trying to get in and if I'd see someone running from a house with a gas can, I'd take a picture first, whack them with my baseball bat, sit on them then I'd call the ATF before I'd call 911 or C'ville police. All these arsons and they haven't gotten anyone!? Law enforcement knows and deals daily with people who are involved with crimes--frequent flyers. They know the landscape, they know the people! Something is mighty fishy to me! As a taxpaying, law-abiding citizen, I am powerless and unprotected! Go over the bridge, you will see police cars sitting at city hall the majority of the time, not patrolling. Didn't Judy Reed complain about that exact thing during the last mayor's stint? How much better is she managing that department? They say 20 fires, but there have been far more than that--30 or more. Some have not been technically ruled arson, so they can't include them--their origins are inconclusive. What a way to live here in C'ville. All you that left Connellsville, good for you-cherish your memories as I cherish mine. That good town is gone. Once the pall has lifted and we are able to, we will sell this house and begin to live a good life elsewhere.
Fed Up
Cville USA

Does Duncan still go to the C'Ville Eagles?I used see most of his family there in the 70's. Is the Eagles even there anymore?I used to stop there and at Carby's Bar back then.
Lance Reardon [Contact]
Pittsburgh, Pa. USA

wrong again about me not being a vet but you are right about the welcome back for the Vietnam Vets.......but one has nothing to do with the other. Like I said, we stayed and are trying, quit stirring up bull s**t. Cause you are bitter over Vietnam don't take it out on us good people who are trying. And yes, I consider Joe one of the good people, How the heck would you know him, we do!
Caution
USA

Tom Duncan would be a poor choice for mayor. All he could do was oppose every idea good or bad if he didn't think of it or it was proposed by certain council members who he didn't see eye to eye with.
c
connellsville USA

I have to say I'm glad I left. People like Joe and others made me realize how Connellsville is. I served time too but, in the USMC in Vietnam. Myself and a lot of other returning Veterans were treated worse in the 60's & 70's than these scumb bag ex cons, You are the A****** Caution. Bet you arn't a Vet. Connellsville was one of the places back then where the ex con was welcomed home and not the Vet. PS. Did the C'Ville Police in the early 70's rob Foodland or Thorofare?
Lance Reardon [Contact]
Pittsburgh, Pa USA

Tuesday, November 30, 2004
Oh yeah Lance, like you stayed here and tried to make things better. Joe is a GREAT guy and a caring human being, ALL of us have made mistakes, some learn, and make things right. Joe sure has. I bet there are skeletons in your closet. What an A**!!!!
Caution
USA

Tuesday, November 30, 2004
Well Eric, This is a Discussion Board. I thought I was polite about the way I talked about Joey. It's not like I said Do you remember when he beat that old man up and took his coin collection.No I thought I was polite.
Lance Reardon [Contact]
Pittsburgh, Pa. USA

Post Message    Older >

2005 2004 2003

Become a Fay-West.com Info Source!
Here is your opportunity to ensure your town or favorite place in the area is promoted on the web.
www.Fay-West.com © 1997-2005 Fay-West.com. All rights reserved.
Link to Us | Copyright Statement | About | Contact | Guestbook
Web site designed, programmed, created, and published by Michael D. McCumber.