www.Fay-West.com Logo

Connellsville and South Connellsville

www.fay-west.com
www.Fay-West.com
Connellsville and South Connellsville Ohiopyle State Park Youghiogheny River and Trail
About Contact Guestbook Fayette County Westmoreland County Somerset County
Home Pictures Towns Places Other Info Interact Classifieds
Connellsville and South Connellsville
Last Update: January 24, 2005
- Discussion Board
- Classmate Registry
- Connellsville
- History
- Pictures
- Guestbook
- South Connellsville
- History
- Pictures
- Casparis

Connellsville Area Discussion Board

2005 2004 2003

2004 Entries

Post Message < Newer    Older >

View Discussion Board:

Wednesday, September 08, 2004
I for one am glad that a Wal-Mart is coming to town. Let's face it, Connellsville is done. As the previous message states, Shop and Save takes advantage of seniors, the store needs a good healthy dose of competition. As for the Troutman lot and all the other empty store fronts, that is how it is going to be. Our previous mayor and council and the present one have all had their chances to revitalize. Instead they give everyone a hard time. So now we are playing with the big-boys. When Wal-Mart and the new Hotel and new grocery store come rolling in, they won't give a hoot about "our town" just here to make money, and give the locals a run for their money. It's all over now. We're going to be invaded by out of towners and our townspeople will follow them like the pied piper. Why? Because we have been given no choice. While watching the council and school board destroy the city and break everyone's spirit, we will all go running towards the light. It's human nature. We will buy our toilet paper, soap and aspirin at the one stop shopping center provided to us by good old Sam. We may as well disolve city council and the school board and just become state controlled. What's the difference?
citizen
connellsville, pa USA

I here that C'ville is getting Hampton Inn by the C'ville Airport and at the five Corners there will be a foods store and a Taco Bell and a sit down restaurant!!!!!! YEAH!!!! The last thing C'ville needs is another grocery store!!!!!! Antone out there no any where abouts from people who went to Dunbar Twp. that would have graduated in '93??? Hi Jimmy Greenwalt!! SMOOCH!!!
Chunky Grad '93
Little Summit, PA

Shop n Save needs competition. Their prices are outragious. You can never go to that store and find everything that is on special. It is either coming in or just sold out, so they say. They take advantage of the senior citizens that live in Connellsville. Oh they have 5% discount on Tuesday for seniors but you can never find everything you came after. There is an Eckhard Drug and a CVS Pharmacy near the Wal-Mart Super Store in Mount Pleasant. They seem to do allright.
c
connellsville USA

Wow connellsville is getting a wal mart sounds great! But how is that going to improve downtown? People are just going to go through the city just like they do now. Connellsville should get a Place thats Sells Videos and Video games. I think the wal mart will take away from business that is already developed like shop n save Eckards and many other bussiness in town. the city should get a nice clothing store for people at a decent price and not a second hand store like good will. last time i was in connellsville i saw the only decent restraunt Golden Corral shut down. the city needs a nice sit down restraunt and not a bar to eat at.I heard the Troutman lot got sold. Any News on the aaron Building? Heard it got sold. Hope that it isnt going to be lost in connellsville history. If connellsville demolishes it they will later on regret getting rid of a Part of connellsville history. It would be nice if the city made the old train tressle apart of the bike trail. Is there developement at 5 corners yet? i heard there was goin to be a grocery store,gas station and hotel was goin to be built there.
Dale
Nashville USA

Monday, September 06, 2004
Hey Uriah..........Who is this "Joe"???????? Need him to come to our town, too. Need info ASAP. Thanks.
Sounds Great
My Town USA

Sunday, September 05, 2004
wondering u must have wondered tooooooooooooooo far cause !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
uriah
USA

Uriah, yeap, sit back and wait for someone to give their money to make you a better person. Try doing something yourself. And, sitting and thinking without doing never accomplished anything.
Wondering
USA

Crazy Cowboy Band put on an awesome show yesterday at the Timber Days. I hope C'ville Chamber have them back again next year.
Cinderella
SW, PA USA

Don't give up hope.I heard Joe Hardy is gonna invest $ into c'ville too. his plan is to make FAYETTE County more desireable 4 all! but all this whinin&cryiing is not makin a good impression on him ! why don't you all go sit on your computers 4 a while or do something positive 4 a change,besides ***in&moaning.don't u get enuff of that at home? chill and remember: whatever the mind of man can believe,concieve,he will achieve!!
uriah
casparis cave#1 , Pa USA

The unions all helped in the demise of every manufacturing job. Mind you, the markets dictate a lot, too. If the manufacturer can get something made for 1/10 less in China, guess what? But the unions, with their constant push for more money for their workers, priced themselves out of the market QUICKER than it would have happened by market forces alone.
j [Contact]
asdf, G USA

Saturday, September 04, 2004
I am looking for any reference to Dolores Margarita Moon who lived in Connellsville in 1939. Any one knowing her whereabouts or any of her relatives please advise.
cal schafer [Contact]
Poway, Ca USA

jocko777, Connellsville and it's economy started it's downward trend well before the sixties. It has been a consistent downward trend and population loss.
wondering
USA

i posted a long message about a week ago . anyone happen to see it ? was it taken out there webmaster ? anyhow to oonce again spew in a much shorter version of what didnt appear. it all fell apart during the sixties until present day . has no one noticed the slow downfall , no prayer then no moment of silence then hey you cant talk to my kid like tha, cant hit my kid , cant do this cant do that im going to sue , hell you let happen to you what has happened . paper mill colleges incompetents everywhere.
jocko777 [Contact]
west, west USA

HELLO ALL, I am trying to find out about chunky grad 93 who are you???And why havent you written yet??? I am anxiously awaiting a reply!!!
James Greenawalt [Contact]
Bradenton, Florida USA

Anyone going to Timber Days over the weekend? Have a safe Labor Day weekend everyone.
Dunbar Twp USA

Southerner by choice: Are you feeling that the Unions chased the jobs away from C'vlle & other towns because the business owners felt it necessary to move the jobs elsewhere......enabling the business to become more profitable.....after ending up in the "red" after paying out the large employment packages required by the Unions........thus leaving C'ville & other small towns with the population remaining there responsible to foot the bills of the benefit packages for the town's civil employees & teachers.......which in most cases the town resident is sorely hurting with the resulting burden of the higher taxes to support these benefits (retirement & health ins). This is written with great respect for our fire, police, and educators; however, it is becoming more and more difficult for the taxpaers everywhere.........just as it is in Connellsville.
Curious George
Denver, Colorado USA

Southrener by Choice, No I don't think unions caused the downfall of Connellsville. They might have their faults but they protect jobs. There are many examples on the news of people going to work and finding out their no longer needed, and they haye no one to turn to. The NLRB is a joke.
c
connellsville USA

Friday, September 03, 2004
story orgy
story-orgy [Contact]
USA

c of Connellsville: Did you ever think labor unions may have played a part in what has happened in your city and many other northern cities?
Southerner by Choice
FL USA

wondering, I agre with you on your last posting. I came from Polish immigrants and must say I have risen above the adversity. Change is here whether some accept it or not. The thing is we can't blame our economy on any particular poltical faction. They could help by showing more interest in the well being of the area.
c
connellsville USA

Georgian, Thank you, your comments and help are greatly appreciated. Are you from the Atlanta area? BPetko
BPetko
USA

c, I am not saying making coke and digging coal was an easy job. My relatives which were Irish also labored in the company towns and lived in the company houses and lived off the company store. Many of those towns are ghost towns or falling down shanty towns now. I am well aware that Connellsville, Scottdale, etc had tons of millionaires. That was then. This is now and most of us who are the off spring of immigrants have risen above those early days due to the hard work of those people. It is time to acknowledge that Connellsville and area needs a new life and it will have to be grounded in what the area can offer. Other than tourists the population needs geared for modern technology and that means change. c, I have my share of stories about "the mines" and the broken bones, black lung, and poverty. I have photos of the shanty towns and they were indeed shanties. I owe alot to them and I am proud of what I have become because of them. Change.
wondering
USA

Wondering it was criminal how they had a strangle-hold on the work force. You probably never heard some of the stories of how they treated the working man. They got rich off the backs of many imigrants. It was the coal and coke from the Fay-West area that spawned the industrial revelution. I don't know if you are aware that the first bee-hive coke oven was built in Connellsville. What did the coal and coke barons leave us, Carnegie free libraries that the taxpayers have to help support?
c
connellsville USA

Becky, I grad from Cville in the 80s.......... uuugh! telling my age now ;) We had separate bus stops back then. This is my sons first year at Jr High (He gets picked up at the same bus stop I did growing up) and his bus is packed full (both Jr & Sr High students)! I dont know if this is the norm or not.
Dunbar Twp USA

Newbie, I went to Connellsville from K-12 and graduated in 1993. As long as I can remember, the busses always carried Junior and Senior High students together. Of course, I've always lived in the mountains and distance may have something to do with that. But, it never really seemed like much of an inconvenience.....and that was when students weren't allowed to drive to school. Now that they are, I wonder if the busses are less crowded or more. Could it just be a few busses that you are aware of? I think that most of the busses I see on the roads in the morning are pretty empty. Just curious.
Becky R.
Champion, PA USA

Thursday, September 02, 2004
Industries that have moved out of the USA are gone and are not coming back. Even the movie industry is making movies in Canada and elsewhere because of the cost of doing business. Coal and Coke, good grief man, that's been a long time gone and those that invested in that business reaped the rewards. C you make them sound like criminals when in fact they were astute people who in the large gave back to the communities. I also shook my head in wonder when the Anchor and Caps would go on strike when it was the only show left in town. Kick a company hard enough long enough and what Catapilar did to York, PA will repeat elsewhere (Cat closed down York after a bitter strike....those people had to sell their vacation homes, boats, RV's and very expensive homes. Ohhhhh my.
wondering
USA

I am a native of Connellsville, it seems that all the school districts are going to artificial turf. I live in the capitol of Washington State and all the high schools have just switched to aritificial turf here too. I am not sure what they are thinking, even the pro football & baseball stadiums have gone back to regular turf and this artificial stuff causes way too many injuries. Just ask Jack Lambert, his career was cut short by a repetitive toe injury caused by the artificial turf. That is why it is called turf toe. As for taxes, that is happeing everywhere. Just a small price we have to pay to live in a "free" country. So quite ***ing and get off you duffs and start attending all the public meetings you can and voice your opinion. As for being poor when we get old, part of it is our faults because we do not know how to save. We just spend spend & spend. So start putting those nickels in a jar and by the time you retire you should have a large nest egg to keep you comfortable for the rest of your life.
Janet M Thomas
Olympia, WA USA

B. Petko. Thank you for being a teacher. I, as a parent, appreciate your committment to education. I know that you have a very difficult, but rewarding job. I always tell people that thirty years from now, you'll have a difficult time remembering the names of the presidents, senators, and congressmen. However, you still remember the name of every teacher from kindergarten to 12th grade. If you move to Atlanta, you'll love it. It is a very diverse city. If you go to www.doe.k12.ga.us you should be able to findout about the Georgia teacher retirement plan. To the individual who commented about the coal and coke barons having a strangle hold on the Connellsville and holding back progress, I also say 'Hogwash'. Your attitude and the popular belief that Connellsville was a victim of the coke and coal barons is what is holding Connellsville back. Until Connellsville gets over being the victim, it will never move forward. Look at Pittsburg. When the steel mills closed, rather than blame the steel industry, Pittsburg moved from steel to the high tech market. The leaders of Connellsville need to develop a vision for future and work toward that vision.
Pennsylvanian by Birth
Georgian by the Grace of God, Georgia USA

Whatever your Political Choices may be, please, let's all remember in the days ahead until this Presidential Election becomes a part of our History and our Grandchildren read about in their History Classes, that we live in the Greatest Nation in this World.....We have so much to be thankful for: our Homes, our Families, our Nation, and let's not forget: OUR FREEDOM. We have soldiers fighting terrorism far away from their homes and families.........they need OUR SUPPORT AND OUR GRATITUDE....even those serving close to home. We live near McChord AFB and Ft. Lewis Army Base. Often, while out to dinner or lunch at a local restaurant, we have been honored to pick up the check for men & women in uniform. What's been really great have been the times when we check with the waitress, and someone has beaten us to it, so then we "spring" for the dessert. It warms my heart to often see people go up to them and simply say "thank you" to them. ALL ELECTIONS are important; sounds like what's going on in Connellsville right now is truly a perfect example of this. Whatever the outcome may be with the Tax Problem now and your Board: many of us who used to live there are thinking of you and wish you the Best.
Lived There
Puyallup, Washington USA

When did the school district combine the Jr & Sr high bus stops? When I went to school we had 2 separate buses/ bus stops.... Sr High was picked up at 6:45AM..... Jr High was picked up at 7:15AM. Now all the kids are picked up together. The bus is over crowded. 3 kids per seat + book bags, musical instruments ect. Its almost impossible to get up or down the aisle. The Jr high students have the long/boring ride while picking up the remaining Sr High students, then going to the Senior High School to drop them off, then ride back to the Jr high when they get dropped off. Was this another one of the school boards' brilliant ideas??? an attemp to save money??
Dunbar Twp USA

To the ones blaming the democrats for Connellsville's plight, HOGWASH!!!! Connellsville and the surrounding area was going down the tubes long before the Democrats were in power. The area was doomed by the coal and coke barons years ago when they made their millions and invested it elsewhere and stopped other industries from coming in. They had a strangle-hold on the labor market.
c
connellsville USA

Wednesday, September 01, 2004
BRAVO, Georgian by the Grace of God. I'm now from Houston, Texas, but originally from C'ville. I can relate. How could I find out what Georgia counties pay into the state retirement system for teachers and not Social Security. I would like to relocate to the Alanta area in a few years and finish my teaching career there. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You, B Petko
B Petko
USA

lol He'll get your vote even if he has to steal it like the last election ;)
Mel
South Side USA

I didnt vote for the son of Bush the first time & I sure in the heck wont vote for him this time!
Me
Cville USA

Kudzu. I assume from your hidden encryted message that you are from Fayette County or Peach Tree City, Georgia. Georgia is now 49th in education. South Carolina is 50th. We may not have the most intelligent people in the country. However, we have some of the smartest leaders in the nation. I am proud to call Georgia home! The reason our economy, in Georgia, is so strong is because of our strong republican leadership. Connellsvile needs leaders that will think outside the box and create incentives and tax breaks for businesses. Also, people need to realize that when you drive pass the stores in Connellsville to shop in Uniontown, you are hurting the local economy and businesses. I support my local businesses, even if I have to spend acouple of more dollars for a particluar service or item, because I know they will close-up shop if I drive past them and go to the mall or Walmart. The charm of small businesses is what makes a lot of Georgia towns so appealing. The Leadership of Connellsville needs to implement incentives to attract small businesses to the down town area. The City of Connellsvile needs to implement a tax holiday. In Georgia, we have several state tax holidays (in other words we don't pay sales taxes that day). It gives the businesses a real business boom. Connellville Leaders need to look for answers and not government handouts! The present day problems facing Connellsville are the same problems it had 30 years ago when I moved away. You would think that after 30 years of no real growth that the people of Connellsville would realize that they need to let the republicans take a shot at improving the economy and their quality of life. Remember - Government should only give you a hand-up and not a handout. Some of the kids I went to school with and whose parents were on welfare are now collecting welfare like their parents. I see it, Connellsvile, as a Connellsville Welfare Cycle. One last comment, the teachers, educate us, the policemen, protect our community, the soldiers, protect our country, the farmers, feed us, and the fireman rescue us, in my opinion, they should be highest paid individuals in our country. However, we all get upset about giving a teacher, soldier, policeman or fireman a pay raise. However, we don't think twice about paying a weeks wages to watch some millionaires hit a ball. Support your soldiers, teachers, policemen, and firemen! Also, reelect George W. Bush President!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pennsylvanian by Birth
Georgian by the Grace of God, Georgia USA

WV Bill: We spent considerable time at the 711 Club outside of town, "Back in the day"
Larry Soisson
CT USA

I think "wondering" needs to get a grip.......maybe a grip of reality. Lowest paid???? Maybe that was 30 or 40 years ago!!! You HAVE to be a teacher. PS.......Before you start running us down for our political views, I am Republican just not one of the county club snob ones.
Bert
USA

In most every city in the USA teachers are the lowest paid regardless of trade, education or dedication to the job. Connellsville. Wake Up. 100 years of Voting Democrat and look what you have. Stop Look and Listen. Get a grip.
Wondering
USA

In most every city in the USA teachers are the lowest paid regardless of trade, education or dedication to the job. Connellsville. Wake Up. 100 years of Voting Democrat and look what you have. Stop Look and Listen. Get a grip.
Wondering
USA

Wondering
USA

The "Spot" was along 119 on the left going North past Route 982 and is now "Fatboys". Was added on to then they had a fire and was redone again. At the intersection of East Crawford and 119 is "Riser's Pub", and is also a restaurant but it escapes me what it was named before.
c
connellsville USA

Bel Aire is now Hutches. Was Dukes around back then?
Dunbar Twp USA

How about the Bel Air Lounge on 119 just past the bowling alley?
Larry Soisson
Ct USA

Recently a close friend and I got into a discussion of the former 'nite spots' existing between Connellsville, Scottdale, & Mt. Pleasant from 1946 through the 70's. Any assistance will be deeply appreciated. We'd like the names and cronological order as re-nameds. We know the Mayflower was on the left as entering Everson on old US 119 along with Pug Cafferty's White House Inn on Hidden Valley Rd. between 119 and Kingview which at some point fairly early on burned and was replaced by a new smaller building on the left side of 119 at the intersection H.V. Rd. How many different names did it eventually have? Seem to remember 'The Coop' as one (mid 60's) The real elusive one as far as names goes was the Spot?, Guy's Little Club, & whatever???? Harold and Jerry Betters played regularly at that one. It was back on the left of old 119 past Bill Sullivan's place. The only other in the area was of course 'The Chat & Chew' closer to Moyer. Thanks much. B.
Bill [Contact]
Wheeling, WV USA

Tuesday, August 31, 2004
Angry Taxpayer - seems like you've twised my words. Yes, I have empathy for those poor little old ladies who cannot afford the excessive money they're paying every month for healthcare costs. In fact I watched my very own elderly friends and relatives pay through the nose for their prescriptions, etc. But that's a whole separate machine against which a fight is being embroiled. Let's break this down and look at each piece separately. I cannot comment on teacher salaries nor can you as neither of us have such info in our hands. But I refuse to rely on Browell's comments, let's look at raw facts. Further, compare the C'ville district's teacher's salaries to that of their peers in surrounding areas. It is no surprise that C'ville pays their teachers much, much lower. You have ignored my other questions regarding other governments and businesses in the area. What are the other businesses contributing to the area? What taxes are the other governmental bodies assessing and how are they spending the money. I completely agree there must be a degree of accountability on the school board and school district, but taking money from your teachers is certainly not the way to resolve the issues. I live in an area where just this school season there were at least twelve, yes TWELVE, new schools (new, not replacements) opening in the metro area. While our area enjoys significant financial prosperity we have some of the lowest SAT ratings in the US! Makes me extremely thankful I attended C'ville schools and had teachers who were concerned with my education and not their paycheck. Further, with an area like C'ville competing with cities like mine and many others across the country for educated, caring and valuable teachers you must offer them something. Try offering even worse pay to a potential teacher in C'ville along with the depressive area and you'll have nothing and nobody. So let's get off the teachers and discuss some other issues that are causing the tax woes and stop focusing on an unfair and easy target. By the way, so do you consider me a 'white collar welfare' recipient because my 'salary package' includes a healthy benefits plan that is mostly paid by my employer with a small contribution from me? I can assure you when I was hired my benefits cost to the company was part of the equation in developing my healthy benefits and hefty incentives package, just the same as your school board configures benefits within their offering salaries..........
Kudzu
Hot & Humid-ville, Lemonade Stand USA

Tuesday, August 31, 2004
I agree we have many fine teachers in the CASD, but additional degrees don't make them better teachers. Dedication, care for your students and years of experience do.
c
connellsville USA

Tuesday, August 31, 2004
Please, people. I fully acknowledge that we have some very fine people teaching in CASD. Very fine. But we also have some that tenure refuses to belch out. Yes, I'm radical in my terminology. But I am, as the title implies--angry and a taxpayer who just got hit with a ridiculous tax bill. Much can happen to save money in this system.
Angry Taxpayer
Connellsville USA

Tuesday, August 31, 2004
Dear Angry Taxpayer 8/31/04,Teachers have college degrees,many have their masters,they deserve benefits as any other professional.Also, C'ville teachers don't get paid much.Yes, their is waste in the publc schools,but it is a minute amount with the teachers. So, "Angry Taxpayer", thank goodness for the dedicated teachers of CAHS, their are many.
b petko
USA

Tuesday, August 31, 2004
That older lady who gets only $625.00 amonth is certainly entitled to PACE. She needs to be informed so she can sleep peacefully at night and not harbor death whishes upon herself.
c
connellsville USA

Tuesday, August 31, 2004
I know an older lady who lives on 625.00 per month. She CHARGES her medicines on her charge card, then doesn't sleep at night because she worries about the interest piling up on the charge card, and how to pay it. She doesn't have co-insurance because she can't afford it. Forget Pace. Lots of people are at their peak of stress around here. Now it is compounded by bigger numbers coming in on those little pink tax slips. Most older people have no one to talk to, they just struggle with these expenses. One older lady commented to me that she hopes she just dies in her sleep, then it will all be over.
connellsville
USA

Post Message < Newer    Older >

2005 2004 2003

Become a Fay-West.com Info Source!
Here is your opportunity to ensure your town or favorite place in the area is promoted on the web.
www.Fay-West.com © 1997-2005 Fay-West.com. All rights reserved.
Link to Us | Copyright Statement | About | Contact | Guestbook
Web site designed, programmed, created, and published by Michael D. McCumber.